I’ve not got a diary to share this week. Who has? Life has gone virtual and despite being cooped up, you’ve probably zoom called your way around the world and never felt so connected. It doesn’t make for riveting reading though, and for now we can only dream of how amazing springtime must look in the West Bank wadis.
The corona restrictions are now quite similar here and in my home country, the UK. People in both countries are still allowed out for essential supplies like food but who knows when that might change. With that in mind, and having already waved goodbye to the ‘pop to the shop’ culture we’re so used to, I’m sharing a practical tip this week in case you find yourself short of milk.
Below is a recipe for how to make your own oat milk in about 2 minutes flat with minimal faff. I feel embarrassed even calling this a recipe to be honest as it’s so simple. The first time I tried it, I realised that these trendy dairy-free milk companies were laughing in our faces, charging exorbitant prices for little more than glorified water. You won’t look back! So here goes….
- 1 cup of oats (a small mug from your cupboard, whatever you have, precision not required!)
- Put the oats in a food processor or blender with 2 cups of water;
- Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar (or a date works well, Jericho dates are obviously the best but these are times of hardship so again whatever you have);
- Blend for around 50-60 seconds;
- Strain it through a sieve into a big jug or saucepan;
- add 2 more cups of water also strained through the sieve with the oats in;
- Pour into a jar or bottle and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Shake before drinking!
And there you have it! Not only will this save you money, you will also be doing your own health and the environment a favour by reducing your dairy intake. A win-win indeed! I can’t promise it works well in coffee as I’m very much a tea drinker but give it a try and let me know how you get on.
Got any isolation hacks to share? Favourite recipes for times of need? Get in touch with your tips, advice or general musings on current life and I’ll share it on the page. Best wishes for a healthy week everyone!